Table of Contents
PGDM in Operation Management Overview
PGDM in Operation Management- What is PGDM in Operation Management? PGDM in Operation Management is a course that prepares students to achieve strategic goals set by the firm within the provided time and budget, regulating processes and coordinating among various departments, etc. PGDM in Operation Management professional is also expected to prepare reports and analyze the same also comes core business areas as operations that are needed to be completed.
Q. How is a PGDM in Operation Management course designed?
Ans. The curriculum of the program is designed at aiming for quality training given to the students through industrial expertise. A PGDM in Operation Management caters to the industry’s needs of providing personnel whose services maximize the benefits business firm accumulate through time management and timely delivery of services and projects.
PGDM in Operation Management course curriculum is composed of compulsory and elective subjects which the students are expected to select depending upon their preference and specialization.
Q. What to expect as the learning outcome of a PGDM in Operation Management course?
Ans. The learning outcome of a PGDM in Operation Management course can be summarised as;
- Students develop the skills to comprehend the basic concepts, relevance, and need for Operations Management
- Students learn various aspects of Product Lifecycle Management (PLM)
- Comprehend the concept of operational research and its application
- Assimilate the basic of Six Sigma Quality Management
- Grasp the state-of-art operational excellence practices
Q. What PGDM in Operation Management is about?
Ans. PGDM stands for Post-graduate Diploma in Operations Management and is a full-time two-year postgraduate diploma program specializing in operations and supply management. It is approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), the Government of India. PGDM in Operation Management course is specially designed to cater to the needs of the industry by providing them with suitable, efficient, and competent professionals. These professionals are expected to have a keen interest in managing the operations of business firms.
PGDM in Operation Management trains students with skills required for optimizing production, determining output, analyzing performance, and reducing costs. This course is specially designed for students who are keenly interested in managing company operations, procurements, warehouses, supply chains, etc. Any big management companies or business always work related to supply chain management be it their raw material for the final product, amenities for the workers, day-to-day needs of the employees at the firm, etc the list is endless, hence there is always a need for the people who can look after these procurements and conclude their timely delivery so that the organization can run smoothly.
PGDM in Operation Management is a course designed specially to train this set of professionals to carry out these duties in a firm. These professionals are accurately trained in work related to operation matters, which makes sure the organization is always on pace with their deadlines, delivery, procurement, etc. This is the best course for individuals who love doing management in a busy environment and making sure everything is in place at the right time. They are like the oil in the engine which keeps the machine, in the case where- the organization, working efficiently all the time.
Q. What are the benefits of PGDM in Operation Management?
Ans. The benefits of PGDM in Operation Management are listed below:
- Successful Career- There is a wide range of occupational profiles that a candidate can consider after pursuing PGDM in Operation Management such as Schedule Coordinator, Quality Manager, Purchasing Manager, Inventory Manager, Distribution Manager, Supply Chain Manager, etc. Operations are without a doubt an essential part of any business. Hence a PGDM in Operation Management can get a candidate endless job options in the ever-thriving market.
- High Pay Packages– A candidate who is a PGDM in Operation Management graduate is paid a good salary in the market; this is true irrespective of the business firm. Individuals enjoy a high-value career and lifestyle as a professional after pursuing PGDM in Operation Management. Students who excel in grasping the required skills always have leverage in extracting higher salaries from their respective business firms.
- Competitive Advantage- Operations in a business management company interacts with various other functional areas of any organization such as the legal department, human resource, public relations, management information system, etc. Working with multiple departments in an organization develops a unique set of skills for the candidate for a prosperous future ahead. In PGDM in Operation Management, individuals with these sets of skills are highly valued and are almost always in demand. Recruiters who readily look for such professionals will be short-listing candidates for their business firms.
Hence, students should actively opt for PGDM in Operation Management, as there is an active demand in the market for professionals for the same, as well as a dynamic course such as PGDM in Operation Management, helps a student to develop an all-around personality to enjoy an ambitious career.
Q. Why choose PGDM in Operation Management?
Ans. For those who wonder why to choose PGDM in Operation Management over any other course, the most relevant answers would be that the “Operations” in itself is the essential function of any form, and the program trains students with skills necessary for optimizing production, cost-cutting, and analyzing performance.
After doing a PGDM in Operation Management the students learn strategic ways to lessen everyday hurdles that an organization may face in the day-to-day operations of manufacturing plants, production, project management, etc. The students are trained to gain the ability to optimize, control, and coordinate company resources efficiently and with good planning. These individuals are then highly trusted and are really relied on by the company to manage all their operation-related affairs. Hence it becomes imperative for these students to become highly skilled professionals to be trusted with such responsibilities.
The major topics covered under PGDM in Operation Management are cost accounting, human resource management, project management, and innovation management. The students are taught in PGDM in Operation Management course how the right products and services that satisfy customers are produced and procured. PGDM in Operation Management is an excellent option for students who have completed their Bachelor’s degree and looking forward to broadening their career prospects in business management under Operations.
Q. Which skills are required for PGDM in Operation Management?
Ans. Although there is a multitude of skills required as a professional of PGDM in Operation Management, we have short-listed three important skills students must have by the time they have completed their course in PGDM in Operation Management. These skills are as follows:
- Communication- It is imperative to have these skills or develop them by the time one completes their course in PGDM in Operation Management. Companies look for individuals with efficient communicative skills to make sure their business runs smoothly. Communication is defined as the transfer of information or any relevant data or important message in order to gain a better understanding of it. It can be done via various modes such as: verbally, writing via websites, and magazines, and visually via graphs, charts, etc
- Personality Development- A company management looks upon the person who appears confidant and bold, who knows what they are doing in operations is what makes others believe in them. It is expected of a professional who has completed their PGDM in Operation Management to be a strong head personality who manages various day-to-day challenging businesses of the firm. This is expected to be polished, refined, and efficiently communicative with people around him.
- Location-Based Business Understanding- This is a very imperative skill that is required in an individual who is involved in Operations because operations are not static, or dynamic. They involve the movement of products, services, and timely delivery irrespective of the current surroundings. A person involved in the operation is expected to have a depth understanding of location-Based Business, and be ready to adapt according to the new setting. A course in PGDM in Operation Management trains a student to become apt in this skill.
PGDM in Operations Management: Course Highlights
|PGDM in Operations Management Course Level
|PGDM in Operations Management
|PGDM in Operations Management Duration
|1 – 2 Years
|PGDM in Operations Management Examination Type
|Semester wise exams
|PGDM in Operations Management Eligibility
|Candidates should be a bachelors degree holder with minimum 50% marks.
|PGDM in Operations Management Admission Process
|Entrance Exam or Direct Admissions
|PGDM in Operations Management Average Course Fee
|INR 50,000 – 1,00,000
PGDM in Operations Management: Admission Process
The admissions for PGDM in Operation Management course is taken on both the basis of entrance exams and merit. There are some colleges that do not conduct any entrance exams and enroll students directly based on merit and also performance in interviews. Other colleges may conduct their own entrance exams like SNAP, CAT, XAT, etc.
The admission steps for PGDM in Operation Management are as follows:
- For entrance-based selection, students must check eligibility carefully and apply for such exams.
- Candidates are then expected to qualify for the exam with the required minimum marks.
- After the completion of the examination, the college or university declares the result and announces a merit list of shortlisted candidates.
- The short-listed students are then expected to complete their admission process by visiting the college and paying the tuition fees.
In PGDM in Operation Management, there are many colleges and universities which do not consider entrance exams and take admission based on merit. For these colleges, students should apply to the college either online or offline and then wait for the final selection list declared by the college after short-listing the candidates.
PGDM in Operations Management: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criterion for PGDM in Operations and Management is straightforward and simple for students to grasp, which is as follows:
- The candidate should have completed a bachelor’s degree course in any stream.
- The student should have scored a minimum of 50% marks in 10+2++3.
- The final-year students who are waiting for their marks can also apply.
PGDM in Operations Management: Entrance Exams
- SNAP: Symbiosis International University Pune conducts its own entrance exam called SNAP for admissions into its B-schools which offers courses like MBA, PGDM, etc.
- CAT: Common Admission Test or CAT exam is an aptitude entrance test which is accepted by about 20 IIMs and over 1,200 B-schools in India. It is conducted by IIMs combined.
- MAT: Management Aptitude Test or MAT is a national-level entrance exam conducted by the All India Management Association (AIMA) for admissions to MBA and related courses. It is conducted four times a year in many cities and towns in India.
PGDM in Operations Management: Syllabus
PGDM in Operation Management subjects helps the students to learn strategic ways to lessen everyday hurdles that an organization may face in the day-to-day operations of manufacturing plants, production, project management, etc.
|Principles of Management
|Fundamentals of Communication and Interview Preparation
|The Integrative Manager
|Mastering the Interview and Networking Skills
|World Class Manufacturing
|Radical Business Performance Improvement
|Human Resource Management
|Customer Centric Organization
|Product Planning and Control
|Global Supply Chain Management
|Total Quality Management
|Production and Operations Management
PGDM in Operation Management: Distance Learning
Distance PGDM in Operations Management is valid as the regular PGDM course and is also approved by the University Grant Commission (UGC). The distance PGDM in Operation Management may have a duration of two years that is divided into semesters of six months each.
Q. What are the differences between online and distance PGDM in Operation Management education?
Ans. There are some differences between online and distance PGDM in Operation Management, hence they cannot be said to be the same. The examination mode differs for both, in an online mode one gives examinations online, whereas in distance mode one gives the examinations by attending the examination center.
Also, there is a difference in the learning mode as well. The online universities shall have Learning Management System (LMS). Distance universities provide textbooks that are sent to the students by post/mail.
Last but not the least; it is NAAC, UGC & NIRF approvals required for online universities. The distance universities get their licenses for UGC-DEB.
The fee structure may differ between the two courses but the duration, syllabus, eligibility & job opportunities remain the same for both courses.
Distance PGDM in Operation Management: Top Universities in Distance Courses
Requirement for operational managers barely ends in any function of an organization. This makes the online and distance PGDM in Operation Management a popular course among various candidates.
|Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology
|New Law College
|Symbiosis Institute of Business Management
|Sikkim Manipal University (SMU)
|Siva Sivani Institute
|Balaji Institute of Modern Management
|NTTF Nettur Technical Training Foundation
|Indian Institute of Mass Communication
|Bengal Engineering College
PGDM in Operations Management: Top Colleges
|Average Annual Fees
|Average Annual Salary
|Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology
|INR 7 LPA
|Symbiosis Institute of Business Management
|INR 10.26 LPA
|NTTF Nettur Technical Training Foundation
|INR 3.7 LPA
|Indian Institute of Management Calcutta
|INR 8 LPA
|Siva Sivani Institute of Management Hyderabad
|INR 3.5 lakhs
|INR 4.5 LPA
|INR 3.1 LPA
PGDM in Operations Management in Pune
Students often look for PGDM in Operation Management in Pune campuses courses for a variety of reason. Maharashtra in itself is one of the biggest hubs of Business manufacturing, hence students get a lot of job and internship opportunities in the vicinity itself during or after the completion of the course.
The list of PGDM in Operation Management colleges in Pune is provided below:
|Symbiosis Institute of Business Management
|Indira College of Engineering & Management
|MIT College of Management
|AISSMS Institute of Management
|Neville Wadia Institute of Management Studies and Research
|MIT World Peace University
|International School of Business and Media
|Sinhgad Institute of Management
PGDM in Operations Management: College Comparison
|SIBM Pune is one of the top private management colleges in India which has its campuses in many cities.
|IIMC has been ranked 26th in the overall category by NIRF. It also stands at 51 among the list of top 100 management colleges in the world.
|India Today Ranking
|INR 1.2 lakhs
|Average Annual Package
|INR 1.26 LPA
|INR 8 – 1 0 LPA
PGDM in Operations Management in Canada:
PGDM in Operations Management in Canada is a course that includes the techno-managerial requirements of the services & manufacturing sector under one umbrella. The curriculum includes both advanced and basic subjects that focus on the supply-chain management of goods required in the industry. Some of the key features of this course are:
● One Year Diploma Course
● Financial Aid for International Students
● IELTS 6.5 with 6 in Each Band
● Estimated Cost of Studying – 10 Lakhs
Why pursue a PGDM in Operation Management in Canada?
Affordable fee structure- Canada has a much better affordable fee structure than the rest of the world countries such as the USA, Europe, etc. The cost of any average PGDM course in Canada is around 15,000 CAD to 17,000 CAD which is 8,00,000 INR- 9,00,000 approx. This attracts many international students to pursue a PGDM in Operation Management in Canada.
Easy Immigration Opportunities- There is a multitude of opportunities to get citizenship in Canada for International Students. The immigration policy is exceptionally friendly to international students and skilled professionals. This opens a lot of scopes for individuals with PGDM in Operation Management in Canada to apply for citizenship there after completion of their course. The students for PGDM in Operation Management can get a work permit for two years after completing their college and can apply for permanent residency.
PGDM in Operation Management in Canada: Eligibility
Candidates need to meet certain requirements to study for a PGDM in Operation Management in Canada. Common eligibility criteria for the same are given below:
Candidates have to submit their graduation transcripts.
- IELTS/PTE/TOEFL Scores
- Canada VISA for Indian Students
- GRE/GMAT Scores
- Letter of Recommendations – LOR
PGDM in Operation Management in Canada- Cost of Studying
While the course fees of PGDM in Operation Management in Canada might vary from institution to institution the SPP colleges, i.e. the Canada Community Colleges (called SPP because they have a simple application process) may charge international students tuition fees amounting to 15,000 CAD to 17,000 CAD (8,00,000 INR-9,05,000 INR approx.). SPP colleges are popularly known for offering these postgraduate diploma programs while the non-SPP colleges in Canada mainly offer MBA programs and diplomas can charge slightly higher. On average, the cost of studying in Canada for these postgraduate diploma programs can be somewhere expected around 25,000 CAD TO 28,000 CAD (13,30,000-14,90,000 INR approx.) Statement of Purpose – SOP
Apart from meeting the university requirements, one should also look into the Canada Student Visa IELTS Band Requirements.
PGDM in Operations Management: Career Options and Job Prospects
PGDM in Operation Management is one of the best career opportunities for individuals looking for high-pay packages and a purposeful career ahead. Many organizations, especially the manufacturing industry, always demand skilled individuals who have the ability and skills to take care of their day-to-day operations.
Some of the employment opportunities available for the candidates after completing PGDM in Operations Management are provided below:
- Supply Chain Industry- One of the important roles in the supply chain industry is Supply Chain Manager. One can be the head of the supply chain department of any company by doing the course PGDM in Operation Management.
- Research – The job of researching in the industry has grown efficiently. With information readily available in the era of the internet the collection of data and analysis is vital for businesses across industries.
- Logistics- The role of Logistics after completion of PGDM in Operation Management is to manage transportation, shipping, freight management, and supply chain management. There are multiple career opportunities in this industry once the course is completed.
- E-Commerce- It is related to selling online via digital mediums. This is a booming sector in the present time that is forecasted to succeed in the next few years. By doing PGDM in Operation Management job opportunities shall really rise up for any individual.
- Analysis- Collecting raw data and analyzing its summary to become a simple understandable piece of article is imperative to help companies in decision-making processes. Management has tonnes of people working in it with various levels of understanding, so data needs to clarify the level of the operation work management.
- Consulting-This industry is related to financial or loan advisory services, to advise people with loans and how to handle their money, and wise spending the money in procurement management and where one (the client or the company) can reduce cost cutting for better allocation of resources are all consulted by professionals of PGDM in Operation Management.
- Retail- One may opt to enter the Retailing sector as Operations Management and Supply Chain are closely related to Retail Management after doing a PGDM in Operation Management. Supply is a vital part of product distribution for every organization doing business in the market.
- Pharma- In PGDM in operations management, one can also make your career in the pharmaceutical field. One can manage the supply chain for various pharma companies. These are specialized, and pharma companies are definitely on a boom in recent years and are predicted to be rising in the future as well. A PGDM in Operation Management would really many doors for various students to become a part of this thriving industry by assisting in operation management.
- Manufacturing- For manufacturing, a PGDM in Operation Management is the ideal course to enter as a work-ready professional. Management of operations in the manufacturing field involves various activities within the plant/factory and the storage warehouse. One can be a Warehouse Manager or Logistics Manager. A PGDM in Operation Management definitely opens various opportunities for individuals in this field particularly.
A few job roles for graduates after completing PGDM in Operations Management course along with their average salary package are given below:
|INR 6 LPA
|INR 3 LPA
|Service Operations Director
|INR 8 LPA
|INR 4 LPA
|Supply Chain Manager
|INR 9 LPA
PGDM in Operations Management- Top Recruiters
Some of the top recruiters for the PGDM in Operations Management are given below:
- TVS Motors
PGDM in Operations Management: Course Comparison
Course comparison between PGD and PGDM in Operations Management is provided below, on the basis of various parameters that will help the students to select the desired course for them.
|PGDM in Operation Management
|PGD in Management
|1 – 2 years
|Focuses on operations and supply chain management, smooth operations in a company
|Focuses on Management in general and can be specialized in subjects like finance, HR, etc.
|Merit or entrance exam
|Candidates should be bachelor’s degree holder with a minimum of 50% marks.
|Candidates should be bachelor’s degree holders with a minimum of 50% marks.
|Average Course Fee
|INR 50,000 – 1,00,000
|INR 3 – 12 Lakhs
|INR 3 – 8 LPA
|INR 4 – 10 LPA
|Purchase Manager, Strategic Planner, Purchase Analyst, Materials Analyst, Materials Manager
|Administrative Officer, Business Consultant, Finance Manager, Human Resource Manager, Public Relations Officer, Marketing Executive, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions About PGDM in Operation Management
Q. What is included in PGDM in the operations management syllabus?
Ans. The subjects that include PGDM in the operations management syllabus are financial accounting, principles of management, cost accounting, strategic management, project management, production and operations management, six sigma, global supply chain management, etc.
Q. Are there PGDM in operations management courses available at Anna University?
Ans. Some of the Anna University affiliated colleges do offer PGDM in Operation Management courses such as P.S.G College of Technology, PSG Institute of Management, etc
Q. What are some of the best PGDM in Operation Management books?
Ans. Some of the best PGDM in Operation Management books are Operations Management by William J. Stevenson, Operations Strategy by Nigel Slack, Introduction to Materials Management by J.R. Tony Arnold, An Introduction to Management, Science: Quantitative Approaches to Decision Making [With Access Code] by David R. Anderson.
Q. How is PGDM in operations management course in NMIMS?
Ans. NMIMS is a recognized university approved by the UGC-DEB and also accredited by NAAC with A+ Grade. If one is looking for a university to take admission to MBA in operations management course through distance learning course, then PGDM in operations management course in NMIMS is the best choice.
Q. Is a post-graduate diploma in operations management PGDM from IGNOU available?
Ans. Yes, a post-graduate diploma in operations management PGDM from IGNOU is available. The minimum duration is 1 year and the maximum duration is 3 years. The course fee is Rs. 10800 and there is a minimum or maximum age bar.
Q. What is the scope of PGDM in Operations Management?
Ans. There are plenty of job opportunities one can consider after PGDM in Operation Management such as an analyst, Schedule Coordinator, Quality Manager, Purchasing Manager, Distribution Manager, Supply Chain Manager, etc.
Q. Can one pursue Ph.D. in operations management after PGDM?
Ans. Yes, one can pursue Ph.D. in operations management after PGDM. For one to be eligible for Ph.D. Operation Management, he/she must complete an MBA/PGPM or PGDM course in Operation Management with a minimum 55% aggregate score. Some colleges also ask for the work experience of the candidates for admission to Ph.d.
Q. What are some PGDM in operations management jobs?
Ans. Some of the PGDM in operations management jobs are Purchase Manager, Strategic Planner, Purchase Analyst, Materials Analyst, Materials Manager, etc.
Q. Is the PGDM course in Operations Management good?
Ans. Yes, a PGDM course in Operations Management is good as it provides a career full of opportunities and growth. It is for those students who are interested in working in manufacturing and production.
Q. What does a PGDM in Operation Management includes?
Ans. PGDM in Operation Management includes major topics such as project management, cost accounting, project planning, human resource management, and innovation management.