CAT Syllabus 2022: Overview
The CAT syllabus for 2022 is divided into three parts that include the Quantitative Ability (QA); Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR) as well as Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC). To make it easier to understand and prepare for the exam, it is recommended to study the CAT MBA Syllabus 2022 for each section is divided into sub-sections. The expected date of the test for CAT 2022 is November 27 2022. The test will be held in three or two slots that last for 2 hours each. This year’s CAT Exam syllabus is changed according to the new the pattern of the exam. CAT will include fewer than usual questions.
Three sections are included in the syllabus of the CAT exam that have different weights on the CAT exam. While the syllabus is divided in three sections, the total section count is five since the VARC as well as DILR sections can be further subdivided into two sections. Read details below.
|Sectional Division of Syllabus||Overview of Topics||Weightage in CAT exam|
|Quantitative Ability (QA)||Arithmetic, Modern Math, Number System Algebra, Mensuration, Trigonometry, Geometry||34%|
|Data Interpretation (DI)||Data Charts, Data Tables, Bar Graphs, Venn Diagrams||16%|
|Logical Reasoning (LR)||Seating arrangement,Team formation, Clocks & Calendars, Direction Sense, Family Tree||16%|
|Verbal Ability (VA)||Jumbled Paragraphs; Para-summary Picking the Out of context sentence from a jumbled paragraph||10%|
|Reading Comprehension (RC)||Long & Short Passages||24%|
2. CAT 2022 syllabus: Key Highlights
|CAT 2022 Exam Syllabus: Key Components||CAT 2022 Pattern|
|Test duration||2 hrs (120 Minutes)|
|Test sessions/Slots||3 (Morning, Afternoon and Evening)|
|Number of Sections in CAT question paper||3 (VARC; DILR; QA)|
|Time Allotted for Each Section in CAT exam||40 Minutes|
|Total questions in VARC Section||24|
|Total Questions in DILR section||20|
|Total Questions in QA section||22|
3. CAT 2022 Syllabus: Key Pointers
- The Syllabus is not officially defined by IIMs. It is based on the latest CAT pattern
- CAT 2022 Syllabus is vast and generalized. It covers any topic related to the relevant section
- As per the CAT exam trends and in the view of experts, the topics covered in the syllabus require your knowledge and question-solving skills of class XII
- You need to attempt the questions with good speed and accuracy to score high percentile
- Cover the important topics, practice and choose the easier and no-penalty questions first to maximize your attempts
4. Revision and Changes in the CAT Syllabus 2022
CAT 2022 Exam Syllabus is revised with the changes in CAT pattern and structure. Given the reputation of IIMs for bringing changes to the CAT exam every year, a few changes are brought again in the CAT syllabus 2022 as the exam pattern for CAT is also changed this year with a reduced number of questions in the exam.
This CAT 2022 Exam Model provides us with a clear idea of how to prepare for the CAT 2022 Exam. Examining every topic that will be covered in the CAT Syllabus will assist each hopeful to create your own personal list of weaknesses and strengths, and consequently create a study plan to prepare for CAT 2022.
Syllabus for CAT VARC
The syllabus of VARC for CAT 2022 is likely to include 3 main subjects:
- Read Comprehension: This is likely to comprise around 70% of the overall VARC score. The RCs could be on a range of topics, ranging from the abstract, to science-related.
- Para Jumbles: The two kinds of Para jumbles that are typically used during the CAT Exam are elements of the CAT Syllabus. Para jumbles in general are multi-choice. While the subjective para jumbles are the ones where the answer must be completed.
- Para Summary: While there are other subjects that have been examined during the CAT Exam The Para summary is tested frequently throughout the year and, as such, is an unchangeable component in the CAT Syllabus.
It is the DILR Syllabus that is for CAT 2022 that can be described as the one that is most not defined in comparison to other sections of the CAT Syllabus. Two sub-sections in the DILR Syllabus are
- Data Interpretation The data will appear in the shape of a chart, graph, or some other form of visualization. You must solve the questions using the data provided.
- Logical Reasoning You may be presented with information in a non-structured way and you could be asked to organize it in order to derive the result to answer the questions asked.
In the graph The number of questions that are asked in sections DI and LR sections is generally evenly divided, meaning that students who feel more at ease in one of the sub-sections still have the chance to pass the cut-off when they attempt this part of the CAT 2022 paper well. The CAT DILR Section has changed a little in the last few times. The questions consist of DI and LR instead of the traditional distinct DI and questions for LR that were used in the past.
The CAT QA Syllabus
The CAT QA Syllabus has the largest portion as it covers everything students learn up to the level of Class 12. The major subjects that are covered in the CAT Syllabus for QA are
- Arithmetic It covers the largest amount of questions on the majority of CAT Exams which is a subject that all students must prepare for.
- Algebra is one of the topics that has the second-highest weightage in terms of the types of questions during the CAT Exam.
- Numerics This is a set of topics that are often assessed during the CAT Exam and all aspirants must be aware of the fundamentals of these topics so that they do not miss easily marks.
- Geometry: This is yet another subject that is regularly tested which consists of Geometry, Coordinate Geometry, and Mensuration. Knowing a fundamental understanding of the subject will enable candidates to attempt at least some questions on the topic during the CAT 2022 Exam.
Given the vastness of the CAT QA Syllabus, aspirants need to understand how to maximise their scores in the section. Therefore, picking up the right questions and ensuring that the attempt accuracy is high will ensure that you score well in the CAT Exam.
|CAT Syllabus Sections||Topics||Weightage for 2022|
|Verbal Ability||Para jumbles, Para summary, and Inferences||10%|
|Reading Comprehension||RC passages||24%|
|Logical Reasoning||Family tree, Blood Relation, Syllogism, Directions, Clocks & Calenders||16%|
|Data Interpretation||Tables, Graphs, chart and other forms of visualization||16%|
|Quantitative Aptitude||Geometry, Trigonometry, Algebra, Numbers, Arithmetic, Mensuration||34%|
CAT Syllabus 2022: Important Changes -
CAT 2022 syllabus is changed again and has different pattern and structure. Important changes in the CAT syllabus are
- i) CAT will have 3 sections with a reduced number of questions
- ii) The sectional weightage in CAT syllabus is as under
- Section-1: VARC – 34% weightage
- Section-2: DILR – 32% weightage
- Section-3: Quant – 34% weightage
iii) Questions on topics like Error correction in sentences, Fill in the Blanks, Sentence completion are no longer placed in CAT exam
- iv) Number of sections are increased to three from two and DILR is now a single section. It carries high weightage in IIMs’ shortlisting process and you need to clear the cut-offs in this section along with the other two sections
- v) CAT has introduced 25% to 28% questions without Negative Marking in the CAT exam. The topics for Non-MCQ type of questions are same as for MCQ type questions which carry negative marking
Sectional Syllabus -
Below is shared quick glimpses of CAT 2022 syllabus followed by detailed section wise syllabus
CAT 2022 Sectional Syllabus at a Glance
The broad break-up of topics as given above for the syllabus is as under. You may find most of the questions in CAT exam based on following topics
|Quantitative Ability (QA)||Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)||Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)|
Ratio & Proportion
LCM and HCF
Profit and Loss
Interest (Simple and Compound)
Speed, Time and Distance Time and Work
Surds and Indices
Permutation and Combination Probability Functions
Mixtures and Alligations
|Data comparison from Table|
Bar charts - Simple, Stacked, Composite Bar charts
Linear and matrix arrangement
|Main idea in the passage
Inferences, Statements, Arguments
Phrasal meaning & Usage
Odd sentence out of Jumbled paragraph
Sequence of sentences
Fill in the blanks
Completion of Paragraph
Detailed Syllabus Section Wise
The exam syllabus section wise is not limited to these three sections only, as they are further sub-divided. This sub-division makes MBA CAT syllabus 2022 divided into 5 effective sections.
|CAT 2022 exam components||Total questions||Total MCQs (With negative marking)||Total Non-MCQs (Without negative marking)||Highlights|
|Section-1: Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)||24||19||5||4 RC Passages with MCQs; VA Non MCQs divided into Para jumbles, Para Summary, and Out of Context Sentences|
|Section-2: Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)||20||15||5||LR – 10 Ques
DI – 10 Ques
All in Sets of 3 & 4 Qs
|Section-3: Quantitative Ability (QA)||22||14||8||High on Arithmetic. Other on Log, Geometry, Roots, Algebra|
The CAT syllabus, which covers the major sections, their sub-divisionsand the number of questions on crucial subjects is provided below.
Exam syllabus: Quantitative Ability (QA) 34% weight in the Exam for CAT
Quantitative ability (QA) can be described as the mathematics section of the an exam called CAT. Although it is true that the subject matter for Quant is vast but the topics and questions within it are of the classes 10 and 12 regular. In the 66-question the CAT exam, the Quant Section of the CAT exam has eight questions, and 22 of them in the section are non-MCQ in nature, without the penalties for negative marks.
IIMs have begun to place more importance to Arithmetic questions in the CAT entry syllabus in order to encourage diversification. While the majority of questions are in Arithmetic however, questions on other subjects like Algebra, Geometry and others are within the range of 3 to 5. Below is the expected syllabus for each topic as well as the number of questions that will be asked in the test. This is only an estimate and it’s possible that some of the subjects could have less, more or even none at all this year.
Syllabus for QA: Topics & Number of Questions
|Syllabus Topics in Quant Section||No. of Questions in CAT|
|Averages; Ratio & Proportion |
Speed, Time and Distance; Time and Work
LCM and HCF
Percentages, Profit and Loss
Interest (Simple and Compound)
Venn diagrams and other topics
Linear Equations; Quadratic Equations Complex Numbers
Surds and Indices; Inequalities
Permutation and Combination
Set Theory; Mixtures and Alligations
Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR) Syllabus: 30-32 percent Weightage
The Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR) syllabus is divided into two areas – Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning, each with an equal number of questions and a weightage of 30-32 percent, as the total predicted questions in CAT 2022 are 20-22. While the Data Interpretation (DI) section is anticipated to include 10-11 questions, the Logical Reasoning section is also likely to have 10-11 questions. There are around 6 non-MCQ questions with no negative marking for incorrect answers.
Almost majority of the questions are in groups of three or four per problem. In this part, an equal number of DI and LR problems can be followed with 20-22 questions.
Below is shared the topic wise CAT entrance exam syllabus on which problems are based in this section
CAT DILR Syllabus Topics
|Data Interpretation (DI) Syllabus Topics||Logical Reasoning (LR) Syllabus Topics|
|Bar charts - Simple, Stacked, Composite Bar charts|
Data comparison from Table
Linear and matrix arrangement
CAT DILR Syllabus: Important Points
Key Points on DI Syllabus
Data Interpretation for CAT 2022 is an important part of overall CAT exam. It commands 16% weightage in overall CAT exam and 50% weightage in DILR section. Scoring high in Data Interpretation can take you through the IIMs admission process.
- DI 2022 in CAT is as important as the other 2 sections as sectional cut offs announced by IIMs for DILR section are the same as applicable for Quant and VARC sections.
- Total weightage in CAT exam is 16%
- Now forms a separate section in CAT
- Has 50% share in DILR Section (2nd section in CAT exam)
- Consists of MCQs with negative Marking and Non-MCQs without Negative Marking
- No answer option may be found for NON MCQ type of DI questions. You need to type in the answers on computer screen in the given space
- DI questions have become more time consuming
Type of DI Questions in CAT
|Data Interpretation for CAT||Number of questions||Type of Questions|
|Problem Set-1: Tables & Charts||2-3||Comparison of Data of various years, ages etc.|
|Problem Set-2: Graph, Bar diagram||3||Data Analysis, comparison of various years, classes, groups etc.|
|Problem Set-3: Tables, Pie chart||2-3||Decoding and finding out the data of missing period, taking clues, interpreting the missing links|
|Problem Set-4: Graphs, Charts||3||Making analysis of data and coming to conclusion, making future projections|
|Total questions||10-12||MCQs & Non-MCQs|
Best Books for CAT Preparation
There is a vast variety of CAT preparation books available on the market. Candidates must use caution while picking books to read. Experts advise that CAT curriculum preparation materials be thorough, feature up-to-date test patterns, and include question banks. Take a look at the list of excellent books for CAT test below:
CAT Books for Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)
Given below is the list of books recommended to prepare DILR topics of CAT syllabus:
|Name of the Book||Name of the Author|
|CAT Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning||Gautam Puri|
|Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT||Nishit K Sinha|
|Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency||Ananta Ashisha|
|How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT||Arun Sharma|
CAT Books for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
Given below is the list of books recommended to prepare VARC topics of CAT syllabus:
|Name of the Book||Name of the Author|
|How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT||Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyay/Arihant|
|30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary Mass Market Paperback||Wilfred Funk & Norman Lewis/ Simon & Schuster|
|How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT||Sharma and Upadhyay|
|High School English Grammar & Composition||Wren & Martin|
CAT Books for Quantitative Aptitude (QA)
Given below is the list of books recommended to prepare QA topics of CAT syllabus:
|Name of the Book||Name of the Author|
|NCERT Mathematics Books (Class 9 to 10)||NCERT|
|How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT||Sarvesh Sharma|
|Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations||Abhijit Guha|
|Quantitative Aptitude for CAT||Nishit Sinha|
CAT Exam Pattern 2022
Candidates must be familiar with the CAT test format as well as the CAT syllabus 2022 before beginning their preparation for the exam. In 2021, the CAT test design was altered, and the number of questions was cut from 76 to 66. The most crucial things to remember are:
- The CAT exam is administered online.
- Each question is worth three points.
- For incorrect attempts, a minus one mark is deducted.
The following table summarizes the section-by-section distribution of questions and marks in the most recent CAT exam pattern:
|Section Name||No. of Questions||Allotted Time|
|Quantitative Ability (QA)||24||40 minutes|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)||20||40 minutes|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)||22||40 minutes|
How to Prepare for CAT VARC, DILR and QA
Preparing for the CAT exam that is based on the syllabus that is official will ensure that you get top marks in the test. Candidates who want to take the CAT examinations must develop plans for their preparation based upon their understanding of the subjects that are covered in the CAT syllabus. A lot of Quantitative Aptitude subjects are ones that are taught in schools and the same is true in the case of English Grammar. The first step to do in order to prepare for the CAT is to create the list of subjects that are familiar – generally familiar, familiar but not at all familiar. In the next step, begin to study new topics first, and then progress to more familiar and then to more familiar subjects. Check out some tips for section-wise preparing for the CAT are given below:
How to Prepare for CAT VARC
- VARC preparation should begin in the beginning of CAT preparation, and specifically Reading Comprehension practice
- Review the VARC syllabus for CAT. Then review all the Grammar regulations and the definitions
- Find an English dictionary as well as books on word meanings to discover new phrases and words
- RC is the dominant VARC section, so it is crucial to get into the habit of speed-reading. This can be accomplished through reading novels, books magazines, or even data-heavy reports.
- The most effective source for preparation for Verbal Ability is sample questions. Answer a wide range and many Verbal Ability questions to master it.
How to Prepare for CAT DILR
- The DILR section in the CAT is dedicated to the tables Graphs series, charts and Tables
- This part requires calculation ability as well as an keen eye for particulars
- 24 of the questions can be divided equally between DI and LR. Therefore, you must work on both
- Note Tables of as large as 20, Square, Square Roots, Cube, Cube Roots and other mathematical values that you can quickly calculate and read
- Try as many practice questions and mock tests for sectional sections as you can since there isn’t a formula that can be remembered.
- The greater your experience in the speed of reading charts and tables increase your chance of scoring highly in DILR section of the CAT
How to Prepare for CAT QA
- The Quantitative Aptitude section of the CAT is about conceptual clarity and practical application.
- Take a look at each section in the syllabus for CAT to achieve conceptual clarity. Try to answer a few questions in order to check if you’ve comprehended the concept correctly or not.
- Begin to practice the full length and sectional mock tests only after having completed the syllabus
- Split practice sessions into three categories: moderate, easy and high. Start with easy questions and then move on to moderately difficult questions, before moving to more difficult questions.
- You should be able to time yourself as you solve questions. You should be able to answer each one at minimum three times. The first goal is to grasp the problem the second is to figure it out with 100 percent accuracy, and the final step is to complete the task with 100% speed and accuracy.
- Develop the ability of mental calculation in order to reduce time spent during the CAT test.
Due to the fact that CAT does occasionally surprise applicants, there is no CAT Syllabus that is expressly posted on the CAT Official Website. However, because the CAT Exam measures applicants’ mastery of the fundamentals, every question in the exam is solvable. As a result, every applicant should ensure that they are comprehensive in their preparation for the fundamentals. If the applicant follows the CAT curriculum, the chances of unpleasant shocks are considerably minimized.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I prepare for CAT 2022?
2. When should I apply for CAT 2022?
|Availability Of Application Form||4th August 2021|
|Last date of Registration||22nd September 2021|
|Correction Facility||Last week of September 2021|
|CAT 2022 Examination Dates||28th November 2021|