How many MBBS seats in India 2022
MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) is the primary medical course granted by medical colleges. MBBS is 5 years and 6 months undergraduate medical course. MBBS Course is a proficient degree required to become a doctor, diagnose diseases, prescribe medicine, and conduct surgery. MBBS has been curtailed from the Latin word Medicinae Baccalaureus Baccalaureus Chirurgiae.
MBBS Admission takes place through the NEET entrance exam. For taking admission to an MBBS College, one must be above 17 years of age and have studied Physics, chemistry, mathematics, and Biology as their compulsory subjects in class 12 to qualify for the NEET Exam. NEET 2022 is foreseen to take place in 17th July 2022.
The MBBS fees vary from INR 5,00,000 to INR 50,00,000 and also different colleges have different fee structures. After completing MBBS, aspirants can come to, be a doctor in private and government hospitals, railways, and armed forces. They can also opt for postgraduate medical degrees such as MD Medicine or pursue MBA after MBBS for other career chances.
There are around a total of 1824 recognized top Indian Medical colleges out of which 122 are private while 567 are government medical colleges. However, the number of MBBS seats that India has is just a little over 10 percent of that number. This means every year, almost 90 percent of the aspirants who have cleared the NEET examination will not get admission into medical colleges in India. Also, for 5 medical seats in India, 100 aspirants are competing.
Total Government Medical Seats In India 2022:-
- There are about 533 government medical colleges/ institutions in India with 76,928 MBBS seats and 9 AIIMS MBBS all over India with 727 more seats and 200 more JIPMER MBBS seats for the aspirants who have qualified in the NEET entrance examination.
- Total MBBS seats in India can be grouped into two categories- 15% for the All India quota and 85% for the respective state counseling quota.
- There are a total of 1,18,316 MBBS seats in India.
Total Government MBBS Colleges In NEET 2022:-
- According to the recent trends, there is a total of 604 medical colleges in India.
- Out of which, there are 290 Govt. medical colleges,49 deemed medical colleges and the remaining 265 are private medical colleges.
MBBS Seats In India Through NEET 2022:-
- Class 12 medical aspirants and their guardians are always curious to know the total number of MBBS and BDS seats across India through NEET 2022.
- With the enactment of a 10% reservation under the EWS (Economically Weaker Section) category, the total MBBS seats in India have been increased by 5200.
- According to the trend, 50 more MBBS seats will be added to the Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College (JNMC), Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) from the 2022 session onwards.
Government MBBS Seats In India Through NEET 2022:-
- With the ever-increasing fees in private medical colleges in India, aspirants always glance at government medical colleges for MBBS seats through NEET, because of theirlow fee structure.
- NTA has now decided to take NEET 2022 exam on 17th July 2022.
- As per the latest update, over 5,000 medical seats have been added, since the launch of a new scheme in 2014.
- Also, with the addition of medical colleges, the MBBS seats have also increased over the past year.
- The total seats in NEET are 83,075 MBBS , 26,949 BDS , 50,720 AYUSH and 525 BVSc & AH.
- As per the data of government MBBS seats through NEET, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, and Telangana, are the states which have the maximum number of MBBS seats in their government medical colleges.
Total Government MBBS Seats In India Through NEET 2022:-
|States||Total Colleges||Total Seats|
|Andaman & Nicobar||1||100|
|Dadar & Nagar Haveli||1||150|
|Daman & Diu||0||0|
|NEET Exam Announced||17th July|
|NEET Exam Admit Card||3 days before exam|
|NEET Exam||17th July|
|NEET Results||Date To be announced|
NEET Eligibility Criteria 2022:-
- Aspirants must complete their 10+2 examination by securing a minimum 50% of marks from any recognized board.
- Aspirants must have studied Chemistry, Physics, and Botany/Zoology as compulsory subjects in class 12th.
- Reserved category students are provided 10% relaxation (40% in class 12th).
- There is no upper age limit to be eligible for this exam. However, candidates must be at least 18 years old to be applicable to apply for the NEET Exam.
NEET 2022 Exam Pattern:-
|Total No. of Questions||180|
|Exam Duration||3 Hours 20 minutes|
|Section-wise Questions||Physics-50 Chemistry-50 Biology-100|
|Type of Questions||MCQs|
|Language||11 Languages (Hindi, English, Bengali, Urdu, Oriya, Telugu, Tamil, Marathi, Kannada, Assamese and Gujarati|
The NEET Cutoff is released every year after the exam for all the aspirants who arrive for NEET and want to pursue MBBS.
|Category||2021 Cut Off Scores||2020 Cutoff Scores||2019 Cutoff Scores||2018 Cutoff Scores|
|General- Physically Handicapped (PH/PwD)||137-122||146-129||133-120||130-118|
|SC/ST/OBC- Physically Handicapped (PH/PwD)||121-108||128-113||199-107|
INCREASE IN MBBS SEATS IN INDIA 2022:-
- To meet up with the prerequisites of the India’s promptly thriving healthcare sector, the Government of India has been endeavoring to raise the number of colleges, BDS seats, and total MBBS seats in India through NEET every year.
- At present, Government of India is aiming to infuse more doctors into the system and strengthen it further.
- Aforesaid, the government has increased MBBS and BDS seats available on account of the implementation of the EWS quota which was announced for the economically weaker section of the society.
The detailed state-wise list of the total MBBS and BDS seats in colleges across India, is given in the table below for admission in MBBS or BDS courses of medical/dental colleges in India.
|Type of Colleges||MBBS||BDS|
|Total Colleges||Total Seats||Total Colleges||Total Seats|
|Private Colleges including Deemed Universities||260||35,540||263||23,260|
|Total Seats through NEET||532||76,928||313||26773|
|AIIMS & JIPMER institutions||15 AIIMS; 2 JIPMER||1205 (AIIMS) + 200 (JIPMER)||-||-|
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How many MBBS BDS seats are available in India through NEET?
Ans. As many as 83,125 MBBS, 26,949 BDS, 52,720 AYUSH, and 525 BVSc & AH in 542 and 313 medical and dental colleges, respectively. AIIMS, New Delhi, and JIPMER, Puducherry will determine NEET scores for admission to 1,899 AIIMS MBBS and 249 JIPMER MBBS seats offered on various campuses.
2. Medical seats in India have increased to what number after the implementation of the EWS category?
Ans. With the implementation of 10% reservation under the EWS (Economically Weaker Section) category, the medical seats in India have been increased by 5200.
3. What is the total number of seats in MBBS including all private, deemed, and Govt. medical colleges across India?
Ans. As of today (February 11, 2022) there is a Total of 90675 MBBS seats in India 2021.
4. Can anyone get admission to MBBS in India without NEET-UG?
Ans. No, NEET UG is mandatory for all except foreign Nationals.
5. Is it compulsory to appear in NEET-UG 2021 exam for all, including NRI and OCI quota?
Ans. Yes, all must appear and qualify NEET UG 2021 exam for all including NRI and OCI to get admission in the MBBS course in India.
6. Which state has maximum MBBS?
Ans. As per the data of government MBBS seats through NEET, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, and Telangana, are the states which have the maximum number of MBBS seats in their government medical colleges.
7. Which state has the highest medical seats in India?
Ans. Bengaluru: Karnataka has the highest number of medical colleges, and consequently, medical seats in the country at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Karnataka is home to 53 medical colleges, of which 18 are government colleges.
8. How many chances are in NEET?
Ans. NEET Eligibility Criteria 2022– Number of Attempts. Therefore there is no restriction on the number of attempts for NEET 2022. So, as per the NEET 2022 eligibility criteria, candidates will be allowed to appear for the entrance exam as many times as they would like to only if they are eligible.
9. What is success rate in NEET?
Ans. Total MBBS intake in the country is 78,333 and BDS intake is 26773 and total number of students registered in NEET (UG) 2020 was 1597433 (Compared 1519375 in NEET 2019) making the possible Success Rate to be around 6.5%.
10. What if we fail in NEET?
Ans. If you fail and do not qualify for NEET exam, you may not be able to apply for MBBS, BDS, Or AYUSH courses. You can either opt for B.Sc. Nursing, or take up of the Allied Health Sciences like BPT ( physiotherapy), BOT (Occupational Therapy) etc. You can also opt for B.Sc.