Introduction to Home Science: Courses and Career
Home Science or the science of managing a home, incorporates every one of the things that holds importance to us in our homes, our family members as well as our resources. In very simple words, home science is a subject that is concerned with the health, happiness and well- being of all the inhabitants in a house. It is a study that includes everything from food and nutrition to interpersonal relations, to clothing and also to the environment and décor of the house. It helps us to gain maximum satisfaction through the proficient and logical utilization of our assets. Home Science thus, implies the craft of dealing with our resources such as time, energy and money efficiently.
The most interesting aspect of this subject is that it draws its contents from both science as well as from the arts stream. With the help of this course, you will not only learn to care for your home and family, but also shape your career in an extraordinary way. You learn skills necessary to set up a good cosy home along with skills related to entrepreneurship, consultancies and business.
Home Science is a discipline that teaches the art of using things wisely with the help of scientific knowledge. For instance- the Home Science course includes ‘science’ by teaching you about the different minerals and nutrients necessary for the human body and its processes. But when you use this scientific knowledge to make nutritious dishes for your friends and family, it is an ‘art’.
The undergraduate course in home science consists of various topics from pure sciences such as biology, chemistry, physiology, hygiene, food & nutrition and social sciences such as economics, sociology, rural development, psychology, media and technology. A course in home science can be taken up by any candidate belonging to any of the science, arts or commerce backgrounds.
A student can obtain various degrees in the discipline of home science, such as a Bachelor’s degree, a post- graduate degree, a diploma degree as well as a Doctoral degree (PhD) in home science.
There are five main areas of specialization in Home Science. They are:
- Food & Nutrition
- Resource Management
- Fabric & Apparel Science
- Human Development
- Communication & Extension
With a rising demand for a healthy lifestyle, the courses in Home Science are gaining popularity. These broad areas are further sub- divided into different domains which increases the professional opportunities for the students.
- Food & Nutrition includes Food Science, Clinical & Community Nutrition, Institutional food service
- Resource Management includes studies in Housing & Equipment, Interior Decoration and Consumer Education
- Fabric & Apparel Science includes knowledge of Clothing Construction, Textile Science, Textile Designing, Garment Designing, etc.
- Human Development includes studies of Child Welfare, Adolescence Marriage and Family Welfare, care of the Elderly and care of Special Children
- Communication & Extension includes programmes in Media for communication, programme planning & evaluation, Training & capacity building and Management of community service organization
One can also find different vocational courses in Home Science such as embroidery, tailoring, etc.
Course Duration & Fee Structure
The duration of the course usually depends on the programme undertaken. For the Bachelor’s degree and the diploma course, the duration is 3 years while for the post- graduate courses, the course duration is 2 years. The fee structure generally ranges from 40,000 to 80,000 depending upon the course and the college.
|Bachelor of Science||3 years||55,000-80,000|
|Master of Science||2 years||20,000 – 40,000|
|Diploma after 10+2||1 year||10,000- 35,000|
|Post Graduate Diploma||2 years||20,000 – 35,000|
|Master of Arts in Home Science||2 years||10,000-35,000|
|Bachelor of Arts in Home Science||3 years||40,000 – 65,000|
Eligibility for courses in Home Science
Candidates who want to seek admission to Home Science course should have passed the (10 +2) higher secondary examination with at least 50% of marks. Some institutions require the candidate to have studied science subjects like physics, chemistry and biology in class XII in order to be eligible for this home science course. In order to pursue higher education in the field of Home Science (post- graduation or PhD), the candidate should have a bachelor’s degree in Home Science from a recognized university or institution.
Importance of studying Home Science
- Earlier, people had a notion that a subject like home science can be taken up only by girls as it is they who have to take care of families. This conception has been proved wrong today. Both men and women can pursue this course based upon their interests as today, the responsibilities of home and families are shared equally by both the genders. It is important for both men and women to know how to utilize their resources in an efficient manner.
- Home Science also inculcates effective communication skills in students. This ability to communicate with elders and children gives rise to harmonious relationships in the family.
- Drawing from both science and arts, the syllabus of Home Science helps the students to understand a wide range of concepts and enables them to apply it in various sectors. This provides home science students an edge above all other disciplines.
- With the help of Home Science course, you learn to manage resources such as time, energy and money in an organized and efficient way. This knowledge becomes helpful in improving personal as well as professional life.
- The varied specializations of Home Science offer several vocational and professional avenues for students.
- The skills learnt from Home Science help to improve the standard of living. It can also improve the economic condition of your family, as in Home Science you learn skills that can enable oneself to set up home based enterprises such as a boutique, creche, catering unit, day care centre for children or elderly, etc.
Thus, Home Science can prove to be very useful in all domains of our everyday lives as it teaches you more about interpersonal relationships among family members, the food you eat, the house you live in, the clothes you wear, the resources you use, the environment around you and the skills necessary to develop a successful career.
Top Institutes offering Home Science Courses in India
- Lady Irwin College, New Delhi
- S.N.D.T. Women’s University, Mumbai
- J.D. Birla Institute of Home Science, Kolkata
- College of Home Science, Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat, Assam
- Department of Home Science, University of Calcutta, Kolkata
- Banasthali University, Rajasthan
- Government Home Science College, Punjab University, Chandigarh
After the completion of the Home Science course, the students can start working as an intern in different companies. This internship will provide them with training to apply the learnt theories in a practical way. One can choose any field of his/ her choice such as healthcare, tourism, textile industry, etc. They can also start up their own ventures in the market such as home- based craft centres, or boutiques or restaurants, etc.
Graduates with degrees in Home Science get to work in hospitals, fashion designing firms, apparel merchandises, restaurants, welfare organizations, educational institutes, journalism companies, etc. Home science graduates can generally take up roles of:
- Health care professionals
- Food analyst
- Food scientist
- Research assistant
- Professor or lecturer
- Event manager
- Chef/ Executive Chef
- Fashion Designer
- Textile supervisor
- Health educator/Counsellor
- Owner of a canteen or restaurant
- Interior Designer
- Staff in Public Relations & Human relations department
- Staff in Housekeeping and Laundry Services
Some of the companies which recruit professionals belonging to Home Science are: Accenture, Cactus Communications, Elico Healthcare services Ltd, Indigene life systems, Aon Hewitt, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1.What are home science subjects?
Ans. Some of the subjects taught in the Home Science course are- Food & Nutrition, Resource Management, Human Development, Sustainable development, Communication & Extension, Exercise physiology, Fabric & Apparel science, Chemical analysis of food, Child Rights & social action, etc.
2. Is Home Science a good career?
Ans. Home science draws its syllabus from both science and arts and therefore enables the student to develop the ability to apply everything that he learns in theory. Home Science has various fields of specialization and hence, opens up a vast range of opportunities both in the fields of science sectors such as food, nutrition, health and also in arts streams such as rural development, etc.
3. Is Home Science easy?
Ans. Home Science is relatively easier than other pure sciences because here students mostly learn skills applicable in one’s daily lives. Every theory can be related to practical reality and hence, it becomes easy to study this subject. The subject is quite scientific in nature and requires the student to have an analytical mind. In order to gain success in this field, a student must have an aesthetic, creative and rational attitude.
4. What is the salary for home science?
Ans. The salary after pursuing a course in Home Science differs according to the degree obtained by the candidate. At the trainee level, the starting salary can range from Rs 1-1.2 lakhs. The salary also depends upon the field of specialization you choose. The salary can later rise to around Rs. 5-8 Lakhs per annum.
5. What is the aim of Home Science?
Ans. Home Science is basically a course which teaches to manage self and home efficiently. It aims at achieving and maintaining the health, welfare and well- being of an individual, his family life and his home.
6. What are the Careers and Scopes in Home Science?
Ans. After getting a degree in Home Science, the candidates can work in several sectors such as fashion industry, teaching & research, social work, development studies, dietetics, food industry, home management, interior decoration, etc.
7. Are there any Diploma Courses in Home Science?
Ans. Yes, there are diploma courses for Home Science. Some institutes which offer a Diploma in Home Science are as follows:
- Gujarat Technological University, Ahmedabad
- Himalayan Garhwal University, Uttarakhand
- Government Home Science College, Chandigarh
- International Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi
- Acharya N. G. Ranga Agricultural University, Hyderabad
- Polytechnic in Home Science, Junagadh Agricultural University, Amreli