Table of Contents
- BDS Syllabus 2022:-
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. How many marks are required in NEET for BDS?
- 2. What is the salary of BDS in India?
- 3. How many years does it take to complete BDS?
- 4. Is NEET compulsory for BDS?
- 5. Which is better: BAMS or BDS?
- 6. Is NEET mandatory for admission to BDS?
- 7. What is the fee for the BDS course?
- 8. Can a BDS student do MS after completing the course?
- 9. Is the Indian BDS degree recognised worldwide?
- 10. Can a BDS doctor perform surgery?
- 11. Is BDS equivalent to MBBS?
- 12. What would be the average course fee for BDS?
- 13. What is the average salary of BDS graduates?
- 14. What is the eligibility criteria for admission to a BDS course?
- 15. What are the job options for BDS professionals?
BDS Syllabus 2022:-
Syllabus for Bachelor of Dental Science (BDS):-
BDS Bachelor of Dental Surgery is divided into 5 years.
Break up: 4 years of academics + 1 year of internship
- Physiology + Biochemistry
- Dental Anatomy + Dental Histology
- Microbiology + Pathology
- Dental material
Total 4 subjects. But 3 papers of 70 marks each.
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Oral Pathology
Final year (4th year)
- Oral Medicine and radiology
- Oral and maxillofacial Surgery
- Public health and community dentistry
- Conservative and endodontics
- Human Physiology
- Materials used in Dentistry
- Human Oral Anatomy, Physiology, Histology and Tooth Morphology
- Oral Pathology and Oral Microbiology
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
BDS Eligibility Criteria 2022:-
Candidates who want to get admission to a BDS course have to qualify the entrance test. The National Testing Agency releases an online application form. Candidates have to fill the form in the given deadline and appear for the NEET exam for admission to undergraduate dental programme. The exam is held once a year in computer-based mode. Scoring the minimum cutoff is one of the criteria to participate in NEET counselling. Seats are allocated on the basis of rank, choice filled by the candidate, availability of seats, and reservation criteria.
Candidates have to fulfil certain requirements to get admission to BDS courses offered by institutes/colleges. Some of the eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Candidates should have passed 10+2 with subjects such as Chemistry, Physics and Biology
- They must have scored at least 50 percent marks in 12th standard
- Must not be less than 17 years old
- Qualifying NEET is compulsory
What is Importance of BDS 2022:-
BDS is the professional degree programme which offers a range of job opportunities to candidates. After finishing the degree, they can work in a government or private hospital as a dentist. In addition, they can make a career in the pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturing industries. They can also start private practice as a Dental surgeon. For admission in BDS, candidates have to appear for the entrance test. The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) is the national level exam to apply for BDS admission. A total of 26,000 seats are available in BDS courses as per the Dental Council of India records. These seats are available across 315 colleges including Govt, private colleges as well as central and deemed universities.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many marks are required in NEET for BDS?
Answer. Based on previous year trends, it has been observed that to attain a BDS seat in a government dental college, a candidate is required to score a minimum of 450 marks in NEET (subject to vary). A minimum of 50th percentile under general category for those who seek admissions in private dental colleges is a requirement.
2. What is the salary of BDS in India?
Answer. BDS Dental Doctor salary in India ranges between ₹ 3.2 Lakhs to ₹ 4.1 Lakhs. This is an estimate based on salaries received from employees of BDS.
3. How many years does it take to complete BDS?
The duration of course of study is 4 years, with 240 teaching days in each academic year, plus one year rotating internship in a dental college. Every candidate will be required, after passing the final BDS Examination, to undergo one year rotating internship in a dental college
4. Is NEET compulsory for BDS?
Answer. BDS is considered one of the most popular career choices among medical aspirants. The one gateway for BDS Admissions in India is through the NEET exam. Therefore, it is mandatory for the candidates to qualify for the same.
5. Which is better: BAMS or BDS?
Answer. I would suggest you use BDS as it has more scope as compared to BAMS. After dentistry you can get a salary of 15000 – 25000 initially and after some experience you can get a handsome salary of 4 – 6 lakhs. It has 100% job placement compared to BAMS.
6. Is NEET mandatory for admission to BDS?
Answer. Yes. You cannot get admission to the BDS course if you do not qualify for the NEET. There is no other entrance test for admission to BDS courses in India.
7. What is the fee for the BDS course?
Answer. Fee for BDS courses varies from one institute to another. The tuition fee for the BDS course ranges from INR 15,000 – INR 12,00,000.
8. Can a BDS student do MS after completing the course?
Answer. No, a BDS graduate can only pursue a master’s degree in dentistry. If a BDS graduate wants to build a career in surgery, he/ she can opt for MDS in oral and maxillofacial surgery.
9. Is the Indian BDS degree recognised worldwide?
Answer. No, the Indian BDS degree is not recognised worldwide. In most countries, an Indian BDS graduate has to appear for a screening test to be able to practice dentistry.
10. Can a BDS doctor perform surgery?
Answer. Yes, a BDS doctor can perform surgery. But they have expertise in performing dental surgery.
11. Is BDS equivalent to MBBS?
Answer. Yes, both are undergraduate degree programmes. The graduates of both streams can use ‘Dr’ before their name. BDS provides knowledge of dental issues while MBBS makes students learn different aspects of medicine and treatment.
12. What would be the average course fee for BDS?
Answer. The course fee depends upon college. The average course fee for BDS is INR 1-6 lakh.
13. What is the average salary of BDS graduates?
Answer. BDS graduates earn a handsome salary after finishing the course. The salary depends upon skill and responsibility. The average salary of the BDS graduates is INR 4 -10 lakh.
14. What is the eligibility criteria for admission to a BDS course?
Answer. Candidates should have passed 10+2 with compulsory subjects Physics, Chemistry, and bIology. Scoring 50 percent marks is mandatory in class 12th for admission to the BDS course.
15. What are the job options for BDS professionals?
Answer. They can choose from a wide range of job opportunities offered by the government and private sector. Some of the job profiles are as follows:
● Dental surgeon
BDS is a 5 years dental program in which students gain full knowledge about the dental department.
BDS is Bachelor of dental science. In which students get full knowledge about the dental department. It is a 4 years academic study program and the last 1 year for a medical internship which is mandatory for all.