Best Universities for MS in Cyber Security in the UK
MS in Cyber Security: What is it?
- A cybersecurity program protects networks, devices, programs, and data against attack, damage, or unauthorized access by employing a huge range of technologies, processes, and practices. Information technology security can also be known as cyber security. A data protection law inculcates both information technology and law to shield personal and professional data from theft and misuse.
- Authentication, encryption, signature schemes, and Hash Functions are the four essential methods of protecting data online.
- It incorporates subjects like ethical hacking, cyber law, analytics, computer networking operations, information assurance, etc.
- Developing security-related recommendations in both software and hardware, estimating and removing security risks.
- Examine security issues and provide effective solutions.
- Protect netizens from fraud, information and identity theft, theft of funds, Dos attacks, and other intrusions by hackers by implementing a variety of security measures.
Why Study Master in Cyber Security in the UK?
Teaching students how to defend computer systems, servers, networks, data, and more, a Master in cybersecurity is of course attracting students with goals of becoming ethical hackers, cryptographers, security engineers, and many more.
Let’s dive into how master in cyber security from the UK should be your one-stop destination
- Top Universities: Some of the top universities in the UK offer masters in cyber security. These universities are recognized globally and offer teaching and research excellence.
- Duration of the Program: In the UK, MS in Cyber Security is only one year long, which is shorter than MS in cyber security in another popular study abroad destinations, like the USA.
- Placement Year or Professional Internship: Many UK universities offering MSc. cybersecurity offer one year of professional internship or a placement year option to its students. This offers students to begin their careers right after they have graduated and understood the industry.
- Lack of Skill: Businesses and industries in the UK report that 48% of cyber security professionals lack the professional skill required to perform job roles.
- Job Roles: As per the global information security workforce study, the UK can have around 100,000 unfilled jobs by 2022 in the sector.
- Minimal Entry-Requirements: To get into masters in cyber security in the UK, international applicants need to present only their bachelor’s score and IELTS/TOEFL scores. There is no GRE requirement.
Some of the top colleges offering Masters in cyber security in the UK or related courses are listed below as per their Times Higher Education Rankings
|#4||University College London||MSc Information Security (1-year)|
|#12||University of Birmingham||MSc Cyber Security (1-year)|
|#15||University of Southampton||MSc Cyber Security (1-year)|
|#16||University of York||MSc Cyber Security (1-year)|
|#17||Lancaster University||MSc Cyber Security (1-year)|
|#28||Queens University of Belfast||MSc. Applied Security (1-year)|
|#35||Swansea University||Msc Cyber Security (1-year)|
|#38||Royal Holloway University||MSc Information Security (1-year)|
|#38||Anglia Ruskin University||Msc. Cyber Security (1-year)|
|#43||Northumbria University||MSc. Cybersecurity and MSc.Cybersecurity Technology|
|#49||Middlesex University||MSc Cyber Security|
|#67||Nottingham Trent University||MSc. IT Security|
|#67||Manchester Metropolitan University||MSc. Cyber Security (1-year)|
|#67||University of Bradford||MSc. Cyber Security (1-year)|
|#67||University of Greenwich||MSc Computer Forensic and Cyber Security|
|#81||University of Hertfordshire||MSc Cyber Security (1-year)|
|-||Solent University||MSc Cyber Security Engineering (1-year)|
|#ERROR!||City University of London||Msc. Cyber Security (1-year) 15 months with internship|
Among these universities, the University of Hertfordshire, the University of Bradford, Manchester Metropolitan University, and the University of Northumbria offer professional internship and placement year offers along with their 2-year MS in cyber security programs. Nevertheless, the fees when you choose to study professional internship or placement courses in cyber security are slightly higher than what is mentioned above.
People also search for
Best universities for masters in cyber security in Europe
- MSc in Information Security – University College London.
- MSc in Computer Science and Engineering – Politecnico di Milano.
- MSc in Computer Science – Aarhus University.
- Master in Cyber Security – Delft University of Technology.
- MSc in Computing and Security – King’s College London. Cyber security courses in the UK for international students
Courses in Cyber security in the UK
- MSc Cyber Security
- MSc in Information Security and Digital Forensics
- MSc in Applied Cyber Security
- MSc Cyber Security and Digital Forensics
- MSc in Computer Science for Cyber Security
- MSc Cyber Security
- MSc/PG Dip/PG Cert in Advanced Cyber Security
- MSc Cyber Security
- MSc Applied Cyber Security with Professional Internship
- MSc Cyber Security (Online)
- MSc Cyber Security
- MSc in Cyber Security
MS in Cyber Security at the University of Birmingham
Why study Cyber Security Masters/MSc at Birmingham?
- The program has received full certification from GCHQ and the University has been officially recognized by NCSC-EPSRC as an ‘Academic Centre of Excellence in Cyber Security Research (ACE-CSR) by the UK government; an accolade that is a testament to the School’s first-rate research and works.
- The curriculum has been developed with the involvement of key individuals in the cybersecurity industry. As well as advising on the skills they seek when recruiting graduates, they also contribute directly through guest lectures and project supervision.
- Companies including Microsoft, Vodafone, Siemens, IBM, and Hewlett Packard come onto campus to talk directly to our students.
Is UK Good for cyber security?
The demand for cybersecurity pros in the UK is at an all-time high. Here’s the training and salary information for 2021 that you need. Cybersecurity has never been more important in the United Kingdom than it is at this moment. An incredible 39% of businesses in the UK experienced cyber attacks within the last year.
How much does cyber security pay the UK?
Starting salaries for cyber security analysts typically fall between £25,000 and £35,000. Experienced and senior cyber security analysts can expect to earn from around £35,000 to in excess of £60,000. In higher-level leadership or managerial roles, you may receive salaries up to, and in excess of, £70,000.
How much do beginner programmers make in the UK?
The salary of a software developer who is at entry level has a ranging salary from £20,000 – £41,000, and the average salary is £28,000. The salary of a software developer who is mid-career has a ranging salary from £26,000 – £52,000, and the average salary is £35,000.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the top universities for pursuing a master's in cyber security in the UK?
Ans. The highly recognized universities for pursuing MS in cyber security in the UK are University College London, University of Birmingham, Lancaster University, Swansea University, Solent University, University of Greenwich, Royal Holloway University, Manchester Metropolitan University, and more.
Q. What is the cost of pursuing an MS in cyber security in the UK?
Ans. The tuition fees for pursuing MS in cyber security in the UK from top universities range from 14,100 GBP to 31,00 GBP. On the other hand, the cost of living in the UK is approximately 10,000 GBP per month, depending on which city and residence type you choose. Overall the cost of pursuing 14,100 GBP to 31,00 GBP for Indian students is approximately 41 lakhs (INR) per annum.
Q. Is the UK fine to pursue MS in cyber security in the UK?
Ans. MS in cyber security in the UK is offered at top universities. You can choose from professional internship or placement year options. Additionally, there is a large skill gap in the field of cyber security in the UK. All these factors together make studying cyber security in the UK worth it.
Q. Is a master in cyber security in UK high paying?
Ans. After completing of master's in cyber security in the UK, you can earn from 65,000 GBP per year to 100,000 GBP per year. Based on the job role you opt to study, you can make as much money as you want with MS in cyber security. Moreover, with added experience, you can expect a rise of 29-40%.
Q. What are the eligibility criteria for studying MS in cyber security in the UK?
Ans. You will need to have a 3-4 year bachelor’s degree in computer science, information security or associated programs. The minimum score in your UG should be around 55-70% depending on the particular university requirements. Additionally, international students are required to submit English language proficiency scores. You can submit IELTS-6.5 or TOEFL- 87.
Q. Which country is best for pursuing a master's in cyber security in Europe?
Ans. Undeniably, the USA is considered one of the best countries to pursue MSc cyber security, followed by the UK, Germany, and Canada.
Q. Is it difficult to get into MS in cyber security in the UK?
Ans. The entry requirements for pursuing a master's in cyber security in the UK are not rigid. Therefore, students do not need to worry about getting admission to MS in cybersecurity courses in the UK.