BDS Course Details 2022:-
|Course Name||Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)|
|Course Type||Degree programme|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam (NEET)|
|Average Course Fees||INR 1-6 lakh|
|Average Salary||INR 4-6 lakh|
|Top Recruiters||Hospitals, Dental Clinics, Educational Institutes, Dental Product Manufacturers etc.|
Eligibility Criteria For BDS Courses 2022:-
Candidates who want to get admission to a BDS course have to qualify the entrance test. The National Testing Agency releases an online application form. Candidates have to fill the form in the given deadline and appear for NEET exam for admission to undergraduate dental programme. The exam is held once a year in computer-based mode. Scoring the minimum cutoff is one of the criteria to participate in NEET counselling. Seats are allocated on the basis of rank, choice filled by candidate, availability of seats, and reservation criteria.
Candidates have to fulfil certain requirements to get admission to BDS courses offered by institutes/colleges. Some of the eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Candidates should have passed 10+2 with subjects such as Chemistry, Physics and Biology
- They must have scored at least 50 percent marks in 12th standard
- Must not be less than 17 years old
- Qualifying NEET is compulsory
Top Colleges for BDS:-
Courses Fees 2022:-
|Top BDS Colleges||Fees|
|Faculty of Dental Sciences, IMS BHU, Varanasi||1 L|
|Maulana Azad Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi||1 to 1.5 L|
|Faculty of Dental Sciences King George's Medical University, Lucknow||1.5 to 2 L|
|Government Dental College and Hospital, Mumbai||2 to 2.5 L|
|Dr R Ahmed Dental College and Hospital, Kolkata||1 L|
|Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mengaluru||25 to 30 L|
Syllabus for Bachelor of Dental Science (BDS):-
BDS Bachelor of Dental Surgery is divided into 5 years.
Break up: 4 years of academics + 1 year of internship
- Physiology + Biochemistry
- Dental Anatomy + Dental Histology
- Microbiology + Pathology
- Dental material
Total 4 subjects. But 3 papers of 70 marks each.
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Oral Pathology
Final year (4th year)
- Oral Medicine and radiology
- Oral and maxillofacial Surgery
- Public health and community dentistry
- Conservative and endodontics
- Human Physiology
- Materials used in Dentistry
- Human Oral Anatomy, Physiology, Histology and Tooth Morphology
- Oral Pathology and Oral Microbiology
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is NEET mandatory for admission to BDS?
Answer. Yes. You cannot get admission to the BDS course if you do not qualify NEET. There is no other entrance test for admission to BDS courses in India.
2. What is the fee for the BDS course?
Answer. Fee for BDS courses varies from one institute to another. The tuition fee for BDS course ranges from INR 15,000 – INR 12,00,000.
3. Can a BDS student do MS after completing the course?
Answer. No, a BDS graduate can only pursue a master’s degree in dentistry. If a BDS graduate wants to build a career in surgery, he/ she can opt for MDS in oral and maxillofacial surgery.
4. Is Indian BDS degree recognised worldwide?
Answer. No, the Indian BDS degree is not recognised worldwide. In most countries, an Indian BDS graduate has to appear for a screening test to be able to practice dentistry.
5. Can a BDS doctor perform surgery?
Answer. Yes, a BDS doctor can perform surgery. But they have expertise in performing dental surgery.
6. Is BDS equivalent to MBBS?
Answer. Yes, both are undergraduate degree programmes. The graduates of both the streams can use ‘Dr’ before their name. BDS provides knowledge of dental issues while MBBS makes students learn different aspects of medicine and treatment.
7. What would be the average course fee for BDS?
Answer. The course fee depends upon college. The average course fee for BDS is INR 1-6 lakh.
8. What is the average salary of BDS graduates?
Answer. BDS graduates earn a handsome salary after finishing the course. The salary depends upon skill and responsibility. The average salary of the BDS graduates is INR 4 -10 lakh.
9. What is the eligibility criteria for admission to a BDS course?
Answer. Candidates should have passed 10+2 with compulsory subjects Physics, Chemistry, and bIology. Scoring 50 percent marks is mandatory in class 12th for admission to BDS course.
10. What are the job options for BDS professionals?
Answer. They can choose from a wide range of job opportunities offered by the government and private sector. Some of the job profiles are as follows:
- Dental surgeon
11. What is best out of BDS or BAMS?
Answer. It offers more career opportunities in comparison to BAMS. BDS graduates get around INR 15,000-20,000 initially but after experience they can earn around INR 1 to 3 lakh.
What is BDS – As BDS graduates have thorough knowledge of dental related problems, they are easily recruited by hospitals and dental clinics.
BDS Course Details:-
The course fee depends upon college. The average course fee for BDS is INR 1-6 lakh.
Dental professionals are recruited at different posts as per their skill and qualification. Initially they are offered INR 30,000 to 40,000 salary but it increases as they gain experience under expert hands.